My head will be chopped off in my own house, says Amitabh Amitabh Bachchan, Amitabh`s Bengali connection

Screen legend Amitabh Bachchan’s Bengali connection is known to all. Though his wife Jaya was born and raised in Bhopal, she happens to be a typical Bengali.

So it was one anxious moment in Big B’s life when he crooned the popular Rabindranath Tagore number, Ekla cholo re in Sujoy Ghosh`s upcoming ‘Kahaani’.

Bachchan, despite his initial reluctance was coaxed by Sujoy to attempt his first Bengali song. He admits that ‘Ekla chalo re…’ being a Tagore composition made it doubly difficult to render.

On his blog, the actor-singer has written the beauty of the language, the lyricism in the tune and the ‘dhun’ (music), describing it as an “outstanding” composition.

“I was a little wary because not being a professional singer, any kind of singing is difficult and this was a Rabindra Sangeet in a language I was not conversant with,” reminisced the superstar.

Talking on the subject, he explained, “A Rabindra Sangeet has a structure that is not like that of a normal Hindi song in a movie. It has a unique flow, with words and tunes flowing into one another in a way that’s difficult to explain.”

While Bachchan has recorded the song to Sujoy’s satisfaction, he insists that he is not happy with it.

He said, “I plan to re-record it, again and again, till I get it right. Otherwise not just by Bengalis that considers me as jamai babu (son-in-law), my head will be chopped off in my own house.”

SOURCE:ZEE NEWS
Close Menu