The news of a rift with Salman did bother me: Sonu Sood


A little over a decade in Bollywood and Sonu Sood's confidence in his talent and in the craft of cinema is showing. And it's not screaming from his every pore; it's subtle yet substantive.

If he's worked hard to get the rights of a South song - Aa Ante Amalapura for his latest film, Maximum, "it's because of my long association with the South Indian industry." If he got a Pak band Raga Boyz compose a song for the film, "it's because they are awesome and their music would add value to the film." In a world driven by commerce, reasons that stem from the heart are few, you tell him. Brushing aside the compliment, Sonu says, "Time spent in the industry has taught me a lot. I know that now, my suggestions will be mulled upon. I feel confident to give them now and feel happy when they are listened to and worked upon."

Action unplugged
Heroes in khaki and their films becoming super-duper hits is a recent B-town phenomenon. Did that tempt Sonu to work in Maximum? He says, "Honestly, no! This film's narrative is about the Mumbai police force's functioning and there's a realism about the script, which I loved. There's action, but you won't see cars flying and me beating up 10 goons at a time! Also there's no show of rippling muscles and six pack abs...I play a fit, shirt on, clothed cop!" And did he have any special session with the police? Sonu says, "I did meet many police officers and heard their stories and observed their nuances. It was a research I enjoyed doing." Speaking of observing, ask Sonu how it was to work with Naseeruddin Shah and he says, "When it comes to acting, Naseer saab is an institution in himself. I learnt a lot from him just by merely looking at the way he approaches a scene. He is absolutely brilliant."

Engineering success
From a regular engineer to a Bollywood star - Sonu's success story is one of hard work. If Maximum is all set for release now, then Shootout at Wadala is next and then his own production Lucky Unlucky. Says Sonu, "I am just blessed to be busy and in an industry I love!" But, ask him how he deal with news of rifts/fights etc that this very industry brings along (read his alleged fallout with Salman post Dabangg, rift with Akshay over rights of a song) and he says, "I have always clarified my stand and that's why I have forged good friendships here. The news of a rift with Salman did bother me, but I knew the truth and emerged stronger. Time teaches you a lot!" So, will Salman be invited to the premiere of Maximum? "I am sure he will, but I must add that I don't believe that merely an attendance or absence from a party or premiere can make or mar a friendship! For God's sake a friendship is a serious relationship. It can't be gauged at parties!"

Emotional bond
All set to visit Nagpur ask Sonu how he feels to be back where it all started? He replies, "Nagpur for me is more than just special. I share an emotional bond with it. This was the city where I bought movie tickets in black! This was where I'd see posters of stars near cinema halls; today I see posters of my films. On the outside it does seem like a natural progression of a star, but to me it's surreal. That's why I will cherish Nagpur - as it's here that the surreal and real blend beautifully for me."
Close Menu